Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fall Leaves

Hello! We are fortunate to live in an area of the United States where we can enjoy four distinct seasons (except I can't say that I really enjoy winter!). My class went on a fall walk to observe leaves this week and we saw this beauty!
We have a beautiful campus. We have another tree outside of our window that we can use to observe seasonal changes as well. The children collected leaves on our walk and we completed leaf rubbings when we returned to the classroom. We did this as a cooperative group projects; each table glued their leaves (vein side up) on to a large piece of paper. I taped another large piece of white paper or top of that, and then they colored...it's hard to get them to color gently...but they were happy with the results! (This is an idea I found on Pinterest last week. It worked really well to glue the leaves down first.)

There have been a lot of great science ideas shared this week on several blogs. I thought I'd share some photos of our BUG BOX. This is in my science area, for the children to use during free time. They can explore bugs using the items in the box.

There are several books about insects in the box, a magnifying jar, some stuffed bugs, and this activity, originally found here: The children match the word and the bug (from Dollar Tree) to the correct picture. I included a tweezers for picking up the bugs, for those children who may not like to touch them!
Since I LOVE to sew, I made a bug vest for the children to wear while they are exploring...I only have one vest, but so far it has never been an issue...it also promotes sharing and taking turns. : )

There is also a jar with pictures of bugs the children can graph. I  plan on adding some cute sorting activities I found, but have not had time to put together yet. This poster is from Scholastic. The children have to identify the largest bug, smallest bug, one with the most legs, etc.  Thanks for checking in and have a great day!