Friday, May 25, 2012

Pocket Gardens and end of the year craziness...

Hello! Another week has gone by since my last post...only 3.5 days to go!! The countdown is ON! You all know how crazy the end of the year can be...assess...assess...assess! We finished a few projects this week, including our plant unit and Kindergarten Keepsake book. I'll save the book for another post, but here's the update on our pocket gardens:
We started these about 2 weeks ago. I always use bean seeds for this project because we are almost guaranteed success.  The "watch me grow" flower pot pattern is from our science series. I taped them to our classroom window so they could get good sunlight.
This is how they looked on Monday of this week. I should've snapped another picture before I sent them home today....this one had stems growing out of the bag! The kids loved doing this. We had only one that ended up getting moldy, so we planted new seeds for him today. Hopefully by the time we get back on Tuesday, they will be sprouting.
Here's a little project we did for identifying the parts of a plant. The children made their own roots to add to the flower and glued on the labels.

So...with only 3.5 days left in this school year, I am feeling the time crunch and summer beckons! I started working on cleaning, organizing and purging two of my cupboards today. If I haven't used it and it doesn't support the curriculum, I pitched it! I really want to organize now, so I can enjoy the summer and return in August without having to organize before setting up my room. My summer to do list includes a TON of things I've seen on pinterest and want to try, scrapbooking, and working part time....along with reading and biking in between there, too! Can't wait for that first morning to sleep in and then enjoy a second cup of coffee instead of racing out the door by 7:15! Good luck with your last days/weeks, too!!