Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Classroom items...

Hello! I thought I'd share a couple of "new" items I purchased for my classroom. It's always fun to start the new year with some new stuff, isn't it?? : ) The first picture is a pair of window valences I got for just 75 cents! Can you believe it??? I am going to use these on a shelf. I will post a picture when I put them up in my room.

This second picture is a large fabric map of the world. It was 1.00. I will use it on a bulletin board. I got the "Landmarks" flash cards at the Target Dollar Spot. I am going to post them around the map to enhance my Social Studies curriculum. Thanks for looking and have a great day!

Show and Tell!

Hello! I am participating in ABC and 123's July Show and Tell event. What fun! I've been working on a few things and this is a great chance to share ideas and see everyone's creativity. I have another "pocket" idea to share with you today. In my previous post, I shared an idea using The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Today, I made an activity to go along with Dr. Jean's song, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a One...This song is on her Sing and Read Along cd and there is a black line master in the book for the children to color and cut out. They can glue the pieces to a zip lock baggie and put the numbers in the bag as they sing the song. I thought I'd take this a step further and make a fabric pocket for the children to use during center time. I used the black line from the book to make the face, hands, and feet. I colored, cut them out, and laminated them, then glued them to the fabric pocket. I cut the numbers out of colored paper using my cricut. I think it turned out really cute! The arms and legs are made out of felt.

Here is a close up picture of the pocket:

Thanks for looking and have a super day!

Friday, July 9, 2010

Very Hungry Caterpillar Story Props

Hello! It's been quite a while since I've post on this blog! I've got a cute idea to share with you for The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Where to begin....I've never actually done a tutorial post,
but I took some pictures while I was making this, so hopefully it will help!

Here's a picture of the finished product. It is a caterpillar, with a pocket on the front so the children can put in the items the caterpillar ate. First, I printed out the sequencing pictures here. You could make each item out of felt, but that takes a lot of time...and this way, if something gets lost, it's easy to print out another one. I laminated the pictures for durability.

I cut 2 pieces; the larger one is for the back. I topstitched along the front to give the impression of the segments of the caterpillar's body. (You wouldn't have to do this, I just thought it looked nice.) Then I put the top and back together and stitched all around the edges. You could use fabric glue for this if you don't sew. I used a shiny, silver metallic thread. It gave my sewing machine a few problems, but I liked the way it looked, so I kept on going! I also topstitched around the face.

I cut some wings out of pink felt and just glued a variety of colored circles on them. I think I'll add a strip of velcro to the wings so the children can attach them to caterpillar's body. I decided to stitch around the edges of the wings, too. I glue the head to the body, added the antennae and face. I like the wiggly eyes; gives it some character!!

Here is a better picture of the finished project, along with the sequencing cards. I think this turned out pretty cute! I want to sew (I just love to sew!) a cute fabric bag to keep everything in, along with a copy of the book. Thanks for looking!